The farm is thawing but our freezers are still running. So give us a call and pick-up some frozen berries to make a lovely treat that will carry you through the last few dreary weeks of winter.
If you want to try something new, why not make black currant scones…
Just remember, those ‘currants’ you can find in the bulk section of most grocery stores are actually dried grapes and not currants at all.
Black Currant Scones
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup black currants from your Favorite Farm Girl at Silver Rill Berry Farm
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg egg, lightly beaten
1. In large mixing bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, & salt. Using pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in currants.
2. Add buttermilk to mixture all at once, stirring with fork to make soft, slightly sticky dough.
Tip: When mixing ingredients for scones, stir in liquid only until well combined; overworking the dough makes it tough.
3. With lightly floured hands, press dough into ball. On lightly floured surface, knead gently ten times.
Tip: Knead dough gently and pat out scraps only once to yield flaky results. (Instead of throwing out scraps, press them together into “cook’s scones”, the not-so-perfect ones that you get to eat).
4. Gently pat out dough into a 3/4 inch thick round.
5. Using a 2 1/2 inch floured cutter, cut out rounds. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Gather up scraps and repeat once; cut out more rounds.
6. Brush tops of scones with egg. Bake in 425’F (220’C) preheated oven for 12 – 15 minutes or until golden. Let cool on racks.
Makes about 12 scones that are perfect on their own or with a hot drink to enjoy during the last of this winter weather. They also go great with our black currant jam.
If you don’t have time to bake or want some jam for those scones, we have a number of products available all year round. Please call ahead to ensure availability.
We currently have:
- Black Currant Concentrate
- Black Currant Jam and Jelly
- Red Currant Jelly
- Red Gooseberry Jam
- Green Gooseberry Jam
- Black Currants
- Green Gooseberries
- Red Gooseberries